SURE, SHE SAYS THAT NOW, AFTER SHE'S SPENT ALL OF HER GRANT MONEY

New studies based on research derived from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development's Study of Early Child Care reinforce conclusions that kids in group child care situations gain advantages academically, but not socially, and are generally safer than they would be in home-care situations. But the real headline comes deep in the story:

"Virtually across the board, the effects of parenting are greater than the effects of child care, so some people might say we don't need to worry about the small effects of child care," said Cathryn Booth-LaForce of the University of Washington, a researcher on the study.

ACCORDING TO THIS COLUMN, 18% OF WORKERS HAD SEEN CO-WORKERS PUT THEIR PERSONAL INTERESTS OVER THOSE OF THEIR EMPLOYER. THE OTHER 82% WOULD TAKE A BULLET FOR THEIR VP.

Another typically interesting family-oriented column from WSJ's Career Journal details how many white-collar workers use office phones, e-mail, and fax equipment to manage their kids' sports teams and other extracurriculars. Oddly, the article barely mentions parents who use office technology to produce their children's nursery-school newsletters.

THEY ALSO WOULDN'T MIND YOU TELLING THEM WHERE YOU KEEP THE KEY TO THE LIQUOR CABINET

Parenting recently ran a piece on "what the babysitter wishes you knew," and it's a quite reasonable checklist of do's and don'ts for dealing with sitters.

OK, THE KIDS MIGHT GET ADDICTED, BUT ISN'T IT WORTH THE RISK TO AVOID THEIR HAVING TO SEE VIDEO OF THEMSELVES LINE-DANCING AT THEIR BAR MITZVAHS SOME DAY?

Demon poker has infiltrated the sacred realm of the over-the-top suburban bar mitzvah party, putting dance leaders and other "party enhancers" on the street, and leaving Harvey Araton of the New York Times shocked - shocked! And, presumably, alarmed.

ACCORDING TO A CUNIEFORM TRANSLATOR ON THE SITE, THE TABLETS ALSO TELL THE LEGEND OF A FURRY BLUE MONSTER, SENT BY THE HEAVENS, WHO WOULD EAT THE NEW LETTERS IN ORDER TO PREVENT HUMANS, IN THEIR ARROGANCE, FROM COMMUNICATING WITH EACH OTHER IN WRITING AS THE GODS DO

Ppa_printme_image2Archaeologists digging in Israel have found a stone tablet with Phoenician or Hebrew letters inscribed on it, enabling scholars now to date the origins of human writing back to the 10th century BC.

November 11, 2005 | Permalink | Subscribe to RSS

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
https://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341c423c53ef00d8355736b469e2

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference :

Comments

The comments to this entry are closed.